Friday, June 15, 2012

One great sammich






Max and I went to Dripping Springs for the Dripping Springs Farmers Market yesterday. Taking a teenager to a market is always fun, especially one who has been a foodie FOREVER. Since we were early, we had time to eat. (Teenager, remember?) 

We passed on the usual suspects of fast food and listened to the recommendations of other vendors and the organizers and headed to Cafe 131. WHAT A FIND! The menu was long enough to be interesting but not overwhelming. Max chose a french dip with a Caesar salad instead of a plain green salad (foodie, remember?). I went with the club sandwich because, well, it had bacon on it. 

Max's sandwich was impressive, with real meat and lots of cheese. I guess it was good because I never got a bite of it, or the salad. And I never got a chance to snap a picture of it!

But if this was a competition, I'd be quoting Charlie Sheen: "WINNING!"

My sandwich was, I kid you not, five inches high! The ingredients were spilling out and, even as big as my mouth is, I could barely wedge this beauty in to take a bite. When I did, I knew why Max hadn't shared his sandwich. I knew I wasn't sharing mine, either. (But I did... I'm the Mom.)  I kept sneaking out of our booth to grab bites during the afternoon. I never did manage to finish it off. Max got HALF for dinner and was satisfied, so I guess we all won.

One more thing to note before I encourage you to go see the folks at Cafe 131: Max liked that sandwich so much he went back across the street and asked if they would make him one for dinner (it was still lunchtime, but we wanted to get one to go when we were done rather than let it sit all afternoon.) I'm not sure who "the girl chef" is that Max talked to but whoever you are, Girl Chef, you deserve a cape and kudos. Max's disappointment at not being able to get a late sandwich--thanks for trying--was more than tempered by his dealings with you. If there was ever a super-hero-worthy skill, being able to charm a sometimes-surly teenage boy while telling him you would NOT be feeding him is certainly at the top of my list. THANK YOU.

OK, now the pitch: If you are anywhere near Dripping Springs, or can make up an excuse to be near there, make the stop at Cafe 131. It's seriously worth the effort.

One more toss: Since Max got a salad with his lunch, I got fries. Thanks to our friend Bill from Drippin' Sauce for ketchup with brilliant attitude to go with those fries. 

That's it for now. Going to Williams-Sonoma at Barton Creek Mall in Austin tomorrow (Saturday, June 16) for the Artisans Market. Going to make Lemon Pepper Chicken featuring our Lemon Pepper Linguine and using a bit of Texas Olive Ranch's Meyer Lemon Olive Oil. Come see us.

'Til next time: Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment