Thursday, March 29, 2012


A Few of My Favorite Things to eat

            Do you remember the Julie Andrews movie “The Sound of Music?” I remember singing songs from that movie throughout my life. I particularly like singing about a few of my favorite things. The funny thing is, that song’s list and my list don’t seem to match. Maybe it’s the incurable foodie in me, but my favorite things tend to be edible! Family stories make me think this is something that’s been going on a LONG time.  Frankly, I don’t have any interest in changing it, either.

            A few of MY favorite edible things? Cheese. Shrimp. Garlic. Cheese. Pasta. Bacon. Mushrooms.  Artichokes. Cheese. Fresh herbs from my garden. Coffee. Sugar. Ice. Cheese. Fresh-baked bread. Butter—not and never margarine---BUTTER.

            I add things to my list and some things go away but there’s a core that sticks with me. Which is why one of my favorite foods is Pasta Carbonara. I’m pretty sure that combining pasta with bacon, garlic and cheese is proof of someone’s genius. Not mine, for sure. But someone has a special place in my version of heaven for inventing Pasta Carbonara. Just look at this recipe and see why this rates as primo comfort food (and has me humming show tunes around the shop!)

Ingredients
·   1 package Gourmet Texas Pasta, which you’ll prepare according to directions
·   Kosher salt
·   6 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
·   2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
·   3 cloves garlic, crushed
·   1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary (You CAN live without this if you need to. Don’t go buy $4 worth of twigs and branches.)
·   1 or 2 red  jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced TO TASTE. (Use a dash of crushed red pepper flakes rather than go buy a fresh jalapeno, if that’s easier.)
·   3 large eggs
·   3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
·   1/2 cup freshly grated good romano cheese
·   2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
·   Freshly ground pepper

Directions
Before you ask, YES, combine the bacon in the pan with the other ingredients. It marries the flavors remarkably.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Combine the bacon, olive oil, garlic, rosemary, jalapenos and 1/4 cup water in a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the water evaporates and the bacon crisps, about 12 minutes. Discard the garlic. Add the cognac, if desired, and cook until it evaporates. Remove from the heat and set aside 1/4 cup bacon mixture for garnish.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in the boiling water as the label directs. Mix the eggs, cheeses, parsley and 1 teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water.
Return the skillet to medium-high heat. Add the pasta and toss until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Whisk the reserved pasta water into the egg mixture, then quickly pour over the pasta and toss to gently cook the eggs and make a creamy sauce. Garnish with the reserved bacon mixture and more parmesan.
It’s all so good and filling and yummy and.. Well, now I’m hungry. Off to the kitchen.
Remember, if you have any recipes to share, email them to me (pastapixie1@gmail.com) and I’ll gladly pass them on. Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment